1.10.2010

The Weakening of Belief

I've been reflecting on Romans 4:18-22 this past week.  Verses 20,21 say this about Abraham, "Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what he had promised."  In the face of what seemed like a hopeless situation (becoming a father, when Sarah was well past the age of childbearing) he was fully persuaded that God had the power to do what he had promised.  For some reason, the definition of belief has changed in our world today.  In my humble opinion it has been weakened.  We can say we believe something without it really affecting our actions.  It's as if when we say we "believe," what we are really saying is "I agree with."  But belief should translate into action.  Sharon Daloz Parks, in the book Big Questions Worthy Dreams writes, "Faith is intimately related to doing.  We human beings act in accordance with what we really trust- in contrast to what we may merely acclaim" (Parks 2000:26).  My prayer is that God will help me to be "fully persuaded" and to do what I say that I truly believe.    

No comments:

Post a Comment