10.19.2010

if you love me you will love the church

I was reminded again this past Sunday how blessed our church is in so many ways.  One of those ways is musically.  I was preaching on the how we are each indispensable parts of Christ's body, gifted and empowered by the Holy Spirit to build the church up.  In other words we are gifted for the sake of others.  We are called to love and serve the church.  As I finished our musicians began playing a song that I didn't recognize about loving the church.  It turned out to be a song by Derek Webb called "The Church."  It was the chorus that kept ringing in my head and then my heart.  It says, "Cause I haven't come for only you, but for my people to pursue, you cannot care for me with no regard for her.  If you love me you will love the church."  Why bother with church?  Quite simply because Jesus loves the church.  Is she messy?  Absolutely.  Will she drive us crazy at times?  Probably.  Is it hard to love the church?  It can be at times.  Should we give up?  Not as long as Jesus continues to love and care for and call his church to be His bride.   

No comments:

Post a Comment