10.15.2010

They Gave to Anyone Who Had Need...

Acts 2:44-45 records these words "All the believers were together and had everything in common.  They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need" (TNIV).   One of the reasons I believe church is worth bothering with is the way the God works through his generous people to provide for people in need.  This morning I found myself on the receiving end.  I am blessed to have a small number of really good friends.  One of these friends is also a colleague in ministry.  We often call each other when we're frustrated, discouraged, or just need to vent.  So I call him every day and he calls me every other day :-) (kidding of course).  Anyway, we were enjoying a coffee this morning when during our conversation he slid an envelope across the table and told me that he and his wife wanted to bless me and Michelle by paying for new tires for our truck.  I can't describe the feeling.  We recently found out that we have to put a new roof on our house, the tires on Michelle's truck are really bald, and we didn't know how we were going to pay for everything.  I was pretty overwhelmed at my friend's generosity.  He shared how God put it on his heart to bless us with this, and that this was what the body of Christ is all about.  I am so grateful and this type of generosity is one of the reasons I believe church is worth bothering with.  We are a body.  We should be there for one another.  We should care for one another.  We should love one another.  We should help one another.  This morning I found myself being blessed by a great friend.  My hope is that we can all be a blessing to others as God empowers and enables us.       

No comments:

Post a Comment