5.11.2010

Knowing Who We Follow

Reading through 2 Timothy this morning, I was reminded of a necklace that I had early on in my walk with God.  It looked sort of like a dog tag and had 2 Timothy 1:7 etched into it: 
"for God did not give us a spirit of cowardice, but rather a spirit of power and of love and of self-discipline" (NRSV).  That's a good verse.  It's one that we like to reflect on in times of need or weakness.  I'm sure it's not just on jewelry, but on bumper stickers, tee-shirts, and maybe even "Christian" gyms (if there is such a thing out there).  I think this is a good thing.  It's good to be reminded of these kinds of verses.  After all, when Deuteronomy 6 speaks about the law, it says to tie it on your hands and foreheads, and fasten it to your walls.  So when I would look at that necklace, I always assumed that God had given me this spirit of power to get me out of troubling or difficult circumstances.  To be sure, sometimes God does.  But my necklace didn't have 2 Timothy 1:8 etched into it.  If it had gone just one more verse it would have included, "Do not be ashamed , then, of the testimony about our Lord or me his prisoner, but join me in suffering for the gospel, relying on the power of God" (NRSV).  It seems to me that according to the second part of the passage that the spirit of power that God has given us is to endure difficulties.  I've never seen a bumper sticker that said, "Join me in suffering for the gospel."  But, the reality is, sometimes we do suffer.  Following Jesus isn't about knowing what's ahead or what to expect.  It's about knowing WHO we follow and being prepared for anything.  In 2 Timothy 1:12, Paul writes, "But I am not ashamed, for I KNOW the ONE in whom I have put my trust..." (NRSV emphasis mine).   My prayer today is that we will get to KNOW this Jesus who we are following more and more.  

No comments:

Post a Comment