5.17.2010

Something Has to Give

I'm reading the book of Titus this week.  Every time I read this book, I seem to be drawn in by the image of Titus 2 of the older women encouraging the young women.  They seem to do this by modeling and telling hand in hand.  Titus 2:3-4 reads, "Likewise, tell the older women to be reverent in behavior, not to be slanderers or slaves to drink; they are to teach what is good so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children..." (NRSV).  Paul echoed similar thoughts in 1 Thessalonians 2:8 as he talked about being delighted to share not only the gospel but their lives.  As I've read this, I've wondered what this might look like for our church.  Obviously, we live in such a different time and place.  People seem so busy now.  We rarely live in close proximity to those we interact with.  How do we share our lives so that we're learning from each others' example and teaching?  The only think I can come up with in my mind is that something has to give.  If relationships are important, they require time and commitment.  The more I think about this, I just can't seem to get around it.  So I find myself reflecting on this question, and hope that if by chance you read this, that you would reflect on it too:  How can I clean out my life in order to make more time for relationships?  Something probably has to give.         

No comments:

Post a Comment