6.10.2010

The Devil Didn't Make Me Do It

Ok, so we've all heard the phrase "the devil made me do it."  While I certainly don't discount the seriousness of spiritual warfare, if I am being honest with myself, it is my self that usually causes me to do what I don't want to do.  I was reminded of this as I was reading James 1:13-16 this morning:  No one, when being tempted, should say, "I am being tempted by God"; for God cannot be tempted by evil and he himself tempts no one.  But one is tempted by one's own desire, being lured and enticed by it; then when that desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin, and that sin, when fully grown, gives birth to death.  Do not be deceived, my beloved (NRSV).  It's pretty clear that I'm often both tempted, lured, and enticed by my own desire.  Now when it comes to things that are blatantly sin, this isn't so hard to discern.  But, what about when you're trying to discern God's will or direction for your life?  It can be tricky to know when something that is pulling you is your own desires and purposes or whether it is from God.  I mean is it possible for me to be pulled or lured in the direction of something that is "good" and yet find myself being pulled away from God's desire for my life?  Maybe this is why James encourages us to ask God for wisdom in 1:5.  I seriously don't believe that God is up there trying to trick me up or see me go astray.  James says if we ask for wisdom that God will give it to us generously and ungrudgingly.  Psalm 37:4 says, Take delight in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart. (NRSV).    

1 comment:

  1. That's good preachin' - thank you brother -Lui

    ReplyDelete