6.21.2010

Living as Exiles in a Strange Place: part 2

I was away a couple days last week for my 10 year anniversary.  But these thoughts on living as exiles have been sticking with me, so before I move on to 2 Peter, I wanted to reflect a bit more on this idea.  I've been reflecting on the life of Christ and how he lived among the people, yet was without sin.  He impacted his culture without being co-opted by it.  Peter brings out this idea as he writes to "exiles scattered."  He writes things like: with minds that are alert and fully sober, set your hope on the grace to be brought to you when Jesus Christ is revealed at his coming.  As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance.  But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do. (1Peter 1:13-15 TNIV). or  I urge you as foreigners and exiles, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul.  Live such good loves among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.  (1 Peter 2:11-12 TNIV).  What strikes me about these things Peter writes is that we are to live among our unbelieving neighbors (I'm not fond of the TNIVs translation of the word pagans.  The NASB translates it Gentiles and the NLT translates it our unbelieving neighbors)  There are many implications that can be drawn from this idea, but it seems to me that at the very least we are supposed to be about the work of building relationships with the people around us.  Otherwise, how could they see the way we live?  We are called to be the people of God.  Called to live differently, or holy, among people who don't follow the same God we follow.  I don't know if we make this more difficult than it is, or whether it is more difficult than it sounds.  It seems like this would be a challenge in an individualistic culture of suburbia with our fences to keep people out, our lack of front porches, and our desire to live a private life.  But, after several readings of 1 Peter now, I can't find any line that says if it's difficult don't worry about it, or that this is only for people who live in urban settings.     

No comments:

Post a Comment