6.07.2010

Remembe How We Started

I'm back from a thee week hiatus.  I basically spent all my free time finishing up the last two papers for my Masters Degree at Fuller.  Hard to believe I started it 4 years ago.  It looked pretty daunting as I began and looked all the classes on my check list that I would have to take.  Now that journey has come to a close.  I'm looking forward to my first summer in a while where I don't have to take a class.  I'm also looking forward to doing some reading that isn't "required."  In any case, this week, I'm reflecting on the book of James.  Ironically, it was a neat reminder of how I started in my walk with God.  James 1:2-4 was one of the first scripture passages that I memorized.  It reads, "My brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of any kind, consider it nothing but joy, because you know that the testing of your faith produces endurance; and let endurance have its full effect, so that you may be mature an complete, lacking in nothing" (NRSV).  I'm reminded that starting something is just the beginning.  There will be trials.  The journey will get difficult.  That we're promised.  However, these trials and difficulties are all part of our growth.  It's the only way we become mature.  One of the things I find myself doing when I go through trials is going back and remembering how I started this journey with God.  I reflect on some of these early verses I memorized.  I read through old journals of my thoughts.  So if you find yourself going through a trial today, maybe it would be a good exercise to remember how you started, and how Jesus really did mean it when he said he'd never leave us nor forsake us.  Hope you have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment