3.23.2010

Free to Be a Slave

I was reading Galatians again this morning, as it will be the next book we cover after Easter in our God's Story series.  I was reflecting on this passage.  Galatians 5:13-14, For you were called to freedom, brothers and sisters; only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for self-indulgence, but through love become slaves to one another.  For the whole law is summed up in a single commandment, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself" (NRSV).  Most people think of freedom as the ability to do whatever they want, or to choose the way they want to.  I think of when I'm finished with a work day, or finishing up a class, and I think to myself, "I'm free for the rest of the day now."  Translation: The rest of the day is mine.  I can use it to please myself.  Yet, Paul writes, don't use your freedom for self-indulgence.  Use it to become slaves to one another.  Other translations say "serve" on another.  It seems to me that before we come to the cross and before we receive the gift of the Holy Spirit, most, if not all, our choices probably had to do with the "self."  We are in fact slaves to ourselves.  But Christ sets us free, not for self-indulgence, but to pour ourselves into others; something we couldn't do fully apart from Christ.  Who are we committed to selflessly serving?        

No comments:

Post a Comment