3.25.2010

Practices and Postures

Galatians 5:16-17, Live by the Spirit, I say, and do not gratify the desires of the flesh.  For what the flesh desires is opposed to the Spirit, and what the Spirit desires is opposed to the flesh; for these are opposed to each other, to prevent you from doing what you want" (NRSV).  The desires of the flesh and life by the Spirit are opposed to each other.  This seems to indicate that you either feed one or you feed the other.  Whichever one we cultivate and feed will be the one that grows.  For me, when I'm being passive about my Spirit life, I am sure that I am feeding my flesh without even reflecting on it or realizing it.  The key for me is to be about practices and disciplines that will help me to cultivate a Spirit life.  If what the Spirit desires is opposed to what the flesh desires, I've got to place myself in environments and postures (through disciplines and practices) to hear those desires of the Spirit.  What kinds of practices are helping you to live by the Spirit?   

No comments:

Post a Comment