3.24.2010

Shoulder Up

Continuing on in Galatians this morning I read a familiar verse that I have read before and heard quoted before, but I'm not sure I ever felt the full weight of it before.  It is Galatians 6:2, Bear one another's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ (NRSV).  This is one of those phrases that can almost become cliche.  But what does it really mean to "bear" one another's burdens?  If my limited understanding of language is correct, I get the idea of carrying or shouldering one's burdens.  Yet if I'm being completely honest, a lot of times for me this equates to me chalking up the phrase, "I'll pray for you during this difficult time."  And maybe that is the best thing to do at times, pray.  But I wonder if more often than not that phrase comes out due to my fear of getting too close to people who are burdened.  What if I say something stupid?  What if I say something hurtful?  I'll just pray for them.  But this morning I couldn't help but get this picture in my head of someone coming along side someone, placing their shoulder under the other person's shoulder and carrying the burden together.  It involved a certain closeness, a certain vulnerability.  It involved the willingness to stop making situations about me and loving the other.  I think that's why Paul writes, "in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.  What is the law of Christ if it's not loving God and loving our neighbor.  Shoulder Up.     

No comments:

Post a Comment