4.05.2010

Knowledge Coupled with Love

Paul writes to the Christ-followers in Philippi, And this is my prayer, that your love may overflow more and more with knowledge and full insight to help you determine what is best, so that in the day of Christ you may be pure and blameless, having produced the harvest of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ for the glory and praise of God (NRSV).  I must confess, I love knowledge.  I love learning new things.  I love finding out obscure meanings of different bible passages.  It is exciting for me to discover new insight into something I'm reading or learning about.  So at first glance, I read this passage and I'm there.  "More and more knowledge and full insight" sounds great to me.  But, as I really reflect on this, more knowledge is not the point.  Paul is inviting the Philippians to reimagine their lives in the day of Christ where they will be pure and blameless, having produced a harvest of righteousness all through Christ and for the glory of God.  He seems to be saying that to get there, your love must overflow with knowledge and insight so that you can choose to do the things that lead to being pure and blameless, and producing fruit.  Knowledge doesn't necessarily guarantee anything.  I "know" how I can lose 20lbs over the next 2 months.  That surely doesn't mean I'll do anything to actually lose those 20lbs.  But love coupled with knowledge and insight can help us determine what is best, which help us take action which shapes "who we are" and "what we do."      

No comments:

Post a Comment