4.08.2010

Mixed Motives

Continuing through my reading of Philippians this week, Paul seems to have a lot to say about motives.  More importantly mixed or even selfish motives.  In chapter one he writes about some preaching Christ out of love, while others preach Christ out of selfish ambition.  Then in chapter 2, where Paul is sending Timothy to them he writes, "I have no one like him who will be genuinely concerned for your welfare.  All of them are seeking their own interests, not those of Jesus Christ.  But Timothy's worth you know..." (NRSV)."  In our consumer driven society, it's easy for followers of Jesus to look at other churches around them and question their motives.  As a church planter I find myself wrestling with this.  I've wondered whether we're really about the mission of Christ or if we're just about becoming a BIG church with lots of people showing up on Sunday.  It's easy to judge others, especially larger churches.  If I'm honest, I'm sure I drift back and forth in my own motivation and it's tough to know if that "something" that is moving me is from God or from my own selfish ambition.  Paul writes, "What does it matter?  Just this, that Christ is proclaimed in every way, whether out of false motives or true; and in that I rejoice" (Philippians 1:18 NRSV).  So when it comes to the motivation other churches, it really shouldn't matter to me.  I should rejoice.  Christ is proclaimed.  I'm sure God will use this to teach me more what it means to love.  When it comes to my own heart.  I need to keep it in check to make sure that with all my heart my motives are pure.    

No comments:

Post a Comment