4.23.2010

Shared Life

Community is one of those words that is used so often it tends to lose its meaning and wonder.  Reading through 1 Thessalonians again this morning, I think I got another glimpse into the window of possibility for community, namely the shared life.  1 Thessalonians 2:5-8 says, "You know we never used flatter, nor did we put on a mask to cover up greed-God is our witness.  We were not looking for praise from any human being...Instead, we were like young children among you.  Just as a nursing mother cares for her children so we cared for you.  Because we loved you so much, we were delighted to share with you not only the gospel of God but our lives as well" (TNIV).  I love the picture of sharing not only the gospel of God but sharing our lives.  Unfortunately, in the church, I think we tend to boil this idea of the shared life down to an hour or two of bible study together.  It's safe.  Yet, as I reflect on the folks who have really impacted my life deeply, it has been those who have shared their life with me.  Not just their thoughts on God, but their ideas, their time, their dreams, etc...  My heart beats for this kind of community.  And yet as I type, I must admit that I am skeptical that I can experience this in our busy, fragmented, consumer-oriented, private lives that we tend to live.  God, help free me of my skepticism and give us all glimpses of the kind of shared life you want us to have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment